Try making this healthy green spaghetti which is tossed in a delicious, vibrant, and fresh green sauce. Filled with green vegetables and herbs.
Pasta is always on repeat in my house, it’s an easy meal and so simple to switch it up for variety. If I plan ahead, my go-to is normally my arrabbiata sauce, I love a bit of chilli and garlic. But with the sun coming out more and the longer days, I felt like I wanted something green and vibrant.
That led me to essentially throwing in a bunch of greens into the blender and just seeing where it went. I knew the rough flavour profile of what I wanted to achieve, which made it pretty easy to adjust and perfect.
But one thing I knew it had to be… was creamy.
I wanted a sauce that I could make regularly that would be healthy and nutritious but still packing with flavour. This is a super simple recipe that’s based around ingredients that you probably keep on hand anyways.
What you’ll need for the green sauce
- Frozen peas – thaw these out by placing in the microwave for 45s intervals until thawed
- Fresh spinach
- Fresh basil
- Spring onions
- Fresh mint
- Cottage cheese/yogurt/cream cheese/soft silken tofu – to make this creamy!
- Salt and black pepper
This recipe will serve 4-5 people.
I usually do around 100g of dried spaghetti per person. You can also add additional vegetables or protein to bulk this out further.
You can add in a ton of veg to this, just take your pick!
I’ve added in some roasted red peppers but any roasted veg will work well. I sometimes add roasted red onions, mushrooms, red chillies, black olives, capers, aubergine, courgette, or even just some minced brined jalapenos.
It’s really versatile so feel free to add in any of your favourites! Fresh mozzarella works beautifully here too, or even just some grated pecorino.
All the greens spaghetti
- 100 g frozen peas microwave for 45s intervals until thawed
- 150 g fresh spinach
- Large handful fresh basil
- 3-4 spring onion greens
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6-7 mint leaves(5tbsp)
- 100 g/5tbsp cottage cheese/yoghurt/cream cheese/soft silken tofu
- 150 ml cold water
- Juice of half a small lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 400 g dried spaghetti
- 100-200 ml of the pasta cooking water
- Place all of your ingredients except your dried spaghetti and pasta water, into a blender and blitz away until a slightly thick but pourable sauce
- Undercook your pasta by 1 minute to allow it to finish cooking in your green sauce
- Add your sauce to your pasta, followed by 100ml of pasta water, place on a medium heat and simmer for a further minute to allow the pasta to finish cooking and your sauce to emulsify. Add more pasta water if you need. I keep aside a few tbsp of sauce to spoon on top, but that’s entirely up to you
- Add in any extra veg if using
- Serve up, top with a spoon of extra sauce, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if you wish, or cheese if desired!
If you enjoyed this recipe, try out my arrabbiata sauce! Tap the image below to take you to the recipe!