Try these Fluffy American Pancakes. They’re quick and easy to make with a light fluffy texture. Perfect with any toppings, sauces, or fruits.
It’s a bit of a ritual in my family to have pancakes or crepes one Sunday a month. Something we really look forward to, there’s always quite a spread of toppings and fruits to go with.
I’m always torn between fluffy American pancakes and crepes, I love them both so it’s tough to choose. But there’s something about the light fluffy texture of these pancakes that makes them so inviting and addictive.
Fluffy American Pancakes
These pancakes are quick and easy to make. All you need is a bowl and a pan, and about 25 minutes.
They’re perfectly light and fluffy on the inside and only require a handful of ingredients. Of which ALL are pantry friendly! Which means you can make these Fluffy American Pancakes at any time.
They’re great pancakes for breakfast, brunch, and pancake day. Stack them up an top with a little bit of butter and honey/golden syrup/maple syrup for a simple treat.
These American Pancakes contain NO EGGS
All the recipes on my blog are egg-free including this one. But these pancakes work perfectly and you’d honestly never know! You still end up with light fluffy pancakes even without the eggs.
Because these American Pancakes contain no eggs, it also means that the recipe can be adapted for vegan/plant based diets very easily.
What to serve with these Fluffy American Pancakes
- Butter and honey/golden syrup/maple syrup for a simple but delicious topping
- Chocolate sauce
- Berry compote and a dollop of whipped cream
- Fresh fruit
You can also add chocolate chips and blueberries to the pancakes as they’re cooking!
The KEY tips for making great American Pancakes
- You can add more sugar for sweeter vegan pancakes. You can also substitute for maple or agave syrup, just reduce the milk quantity to make up for the additional liquid
- If your pancakes are coming out too thin, the batter is too runny. It needs to be a thick, but pourable batter. You can either add more self raising flour, or next time add the milk gradually. Different plant based milks will have different consistencies
- Regular dairy milk can be used for anyone who isn’t vegan
- Only grease your pan (lightly) with oil for the first pancake, after that no oil or greasing will be required
Frequently asked questions
Can I substitute plain flour instead of self raising flour?
Yes, you can. To substitute plain flour, you will want to use around 145g of plain flour and 5g of baking powder (around 1+1/4 tsp). You will then still need to add the additional 1tsp baking powder in the recipe.
In turn, making it a total of 2.25 tsps of baking powder for the vegan pancakes. To note, baking powder is different from baking soda, they are not interchangeable.
Can I make these Fluffy American Pancakes vegan?
Yes, very easily! Substitute the milk for a plant based milk of choice. I find soya milk and pea milk work the best due to the higher protein content.
If you enjoyed this recipe
Please do let me know! Leave a review and a rating below, I’d love to know how you got on.
Until then, happy pancake making!
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
- 150 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sugar add more if you want sweeter pancakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml plant milk/milk of choice
- Mix your flour, baking powder, salt and sugar
- Pour in your milk, vanilla, and oil and whisk up. Pour the milk gradually as you may not need the entire amount. The batter should be pourable but thick
- Heat up a non stick pan on medium-low heat or alternative lightly grease whatever pan you’re using
- Pour ladlefuls of your batter, feel free to throw on some toppings (blueberries/chocolate chips etc)
- Flip once the whole surface is bubbling and the underside has lightly browned