Thick and fluffy vegan American style pancakes. These pancakes make a perfect breakfast option along with any toppings of choice.
Sunday pancakes are totally a ritual in my house and something we always look forward to. Be it crepes (which I have an awesome recipe for) or pancakes, one of them is essential. I’m a fan of both but I love these vegan pancakes, they’re incredibly light and airy.
These vegan pancakes are super simple to put together and honestly take no time at all. The pancakes themselves are minimally sweetened, feel free to add more sugar if desired. For this reason, I would recommend using good quality vanilla extract just to ensure a more pronounced vanilla flavour.
Can I substitute plain flour instead of self raising flour?
Yes, you definitely can do. To substitute plain flour, you will want to use around 145g of plain flour and 5g of baking powder (around 1.25 tsp), you will then still need to add the additional 1tsp baking powder in the recipe. In turn, making it a total of 2.25 tsps of baking powder for the vegan pancakes. To note, baking powder is different from baking soda, they are not interchangeable.
-You can add more sugar for sweeter vegan pancakes. You can also substitute for maple or agave syrup, just reduce the milk quantity to make up for the additional liquid
-If your pancakes are coming out too thin, the batter is too runny. It needs to be a thick, but pourable batter. You can either add more self raising flour, or next time add the milk gradually. Different plant based milks will have different consistencies
-Regular dairy milk can be used for anyone who isn’t vegan
-Only grease your pan (lightly) with oil for the first pancake, after that no oil or greasing will be required
If you enjoyed these, be sure to check out my oat pancakes recipe for something equally delicious!
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
- 150 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sugar add more if you want sweeter pancakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml plant milk/milk of choice
- Mix your flour, baking powder, salt and sugar
- Pour in your milk, vanilla, and oil and whisk up. Pour the milk gradually as you may not need the entire amount. The batter should be pourable but thick
- Heat up a non stick pan on medium-low heat or alternative lightly grease whatever pan you’re using
- Pour ladlefuls of your batter, feel free to throw on some toppings (blueberries/chocolate chips etc)
- Flip once the whole surface is bubbling and the underside has lightly browned