If you’re feeling a little bored of the standard tomato based sauces and want something that’s creamy, bright, and zesty, then this is the one for you. It’s not a bechamel, so there’s no roux and hence no need to constantly stir this sauce, it’s pretty low maintenance if you ask me.
It’s quick and easy to make, the only thing you need to do in advance is soak some cashews, you can pop them in a bowl of cold water before you leave for work and by the time you’re home they’ll be ready to blend, or just soak them in boiling water for a minimum of 20 mins, up to an hour and you’ll be one step closer to a delicious meal.
Top with roasted mushrooms if you desire, I’ve always found the combination of cream based sauces and mushrooms to be a winner. The lemon and balsamic add some acidity, which is essential to cut through the richness, whilst the breadcrumbs (entire optional, but advised) provide some seasoned texture that it hugely appreciated.
Chilli flakes, because.. well.. why not?
Creamy Garlic and Lemon Pasta with Roasted Chestnut Mushrooms
- 100 g cashew soaked in boiling water for about an hour or until soft
- 175 ml water
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 lemon squeezed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 125 g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- breadcrumbs optional
- Drizzle the mushrooms in olive oil, add a sprinkle of salt and crushed black pepper and pop into a 180’C fan oven for 15 mins
- Blend your cashew, water, lemon, vinegar, garlic and yeast together for your sauce
- Boil your spaghetti as per instructions, reserve around 100ml of pasta water
- Mix your sauce and spaghetti, add a splash of pasta water if required to loosen the consistency
- Add your roasted mushrooms and breadcrumbs if desired